Monday, September 26, 2011

Science Week

Science Week




Yay for science week! Today we are sharing our favorite books for teaching science concepts. I can't wait to grow my list for this school year. Here are two books that I use to teach rocks, weathering, and erosion.


I usually pass out a different type of rock to each student before reading this story. I have them make predictions about what kind of rock they think they have. As I read the book, I ask that students listen to the clues to determine what type of rock they are holding.  Later on, I follow up with the following...
This book can lead to conversations involving weathering and erosion. The information with in this story is not as obvious as the previous book, but still a valuable resource to use in the classroom. I hope you find these useful to your science curriculum!

3 comments:

  1. I love all of Natalie Rosinsky's books! I use that one for teaching rocks too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting these books! I am trying to create a rock unit for my first grade core and I am starting from scratch! These look like good books. I will check them out!

    Rebecca
    Teaching First

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I'm your newest follower! I just started a blog last month! Yeah for newbies!

    Rebecca
    Teaching First

    ReplyDelete