Monday, August 8, 2011

FLY Lady


As I was doing a little blog hopping this afternoon, I was reminded about a wonderful resource that I use (or try to use daily) at home and at school. Amanda from the Kindergarten Chick posted about using the Fly Lady's organization system to help her rising third grader. If you don't know about the Fly Lady, she is a woman who helps you organize your life so that things run a little smoother and you aren't living in CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome).  There are things that you do everyday: clean out your sink, do a load of laundry, get dressed to your shoes, etc. Then she breaks down your house into zones so you clean just one thing at a time. Check it out if you have time because there is a whole lot more that I can't even articulate. One resource that the Fly Lady posted that I really like is the teacher control journal. She also has a student control journal that is a great way to help organize your children or your students. It allows them to take responsibility for their belongings, their afternoon activities, the family pet, their bedtime. I once had a student tell me that she didn't know what her afternoon schedule was like after school because her parents never tell her what she has to do and that's why she didn't have her homework. Uh huh, right. If that story was true, then I would tell her parents that this is the time for their child to learn time management and offer this resource to them. It can be a very effective tool.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I also use Fly Lady in my classroom. I hang the No Whining sign up and tell the kids they can do anything for 15 minutes! LOL I also do a 5 min. desk rescue at the end of each day and do a 27 fling boogie whenever I feel the need!! That is about all I can handle.

    I also TRY to fly. It is very hard when you work outside the home. I found doing everything all the way to zone cleaning would take me a couple of hours a day and that is just time we don't have sooooo I have adapted and made myself a spreadsheet of must dos and I have a to do list. I try to do the must dos everyday and at least one to do. If you didn't check out the August routine post. I posted it there. On the spreadsheet I check off what I accomplished and I can clearly see what I need to work on. Picking up a room a day and laundry has becoming a habit but I never cross anything of my to do list. It has taking me years to get this far. Good luck flying!!!

    http://thekindergartenchick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete