Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Teacher Talk Tuesday

I'm joining in all the fun a day late, but I really wanted to participate in BlogHoppin's  Teacher Week AND I think I'm really good at advice giving. :] So, I'll start with Teacher Talk Tuesday, then post about Meet the Teacher Monday afterwards!  Here are some of the best pieces of advice that I can give a new teacher:

1. You know that graph that school districts show you about the emotional levels of new teachers as the school year progresses? It's TRUE!! The anticipation and excitement you feel are so contagious even for a 9 year teaching veteran like me. Yikes! When did that happen? Then reality sets in and things start to get a little more difficult, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. It will get easier, I promise you. Keep this as a reference and know that you are not alone in your feelings. Join an online support group for your grade level OR refer back to all of these wonderful teacher blogs for an additional pep talk to help you work through your first year. You can and will do it.


2. Communicate, communicate, communicate. Parents appreciate a teacher who is open, honest, and informative. I create a parent email distribution list within the first few days of school. I use this list to send out information about what to expect for the week ahead. Think of it like a mini newsletter that keeps parents up-to-date. I also use it for special supply requests for upcoming projects, or quick updates to changes in test dates. Keep it short and sweet and your parents will thank you. 

3. Find a reason to laugh every day with your students. Laughter is the best medicine, I believe that. Some of the best memories I have of teaching involve moments when I truly let myself laugh deeply with my students. It has a way of easing the edge off of a stressful day.

4. Plan something special for yourself to do on the weekends to relax and recover from the week. This will give you something to look forward to when you are feeling a little down during the week. You'd be surprised how quickly you can become re-energized to finish the week when you realize that you are meeting up to have girls' night, take a hike through the mountains (then take pictures of different types of leaves, or better yet bring some back for your students to marvel at how HUGE the leaf is and then do a crayon rubbing activity and then you can create a poem about fall leaves and hang them in the window and and and.....)  or see a movie with your mom. My point is: time away from the profession renews your spirit and may spark a little creativity for future lessons! :)

5. Yoga.

6. Diet Coke.

3 comments:

  1. I've never seen that graph before, but it's so true!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the graph applies to teachers with any number of years teaching experience! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been teaching for over 20 years and you are right...that graph applies to everyone. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete